Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Born in Isolation

I woke up 10 minutes before my phone alarm went off.  For some reason, my body anticipates what's going to happen and warns me about it.  I hate waking up to an alarm, but of course, I need to, so I set it.

I hit snooze and I doze off again only to have the alarm ringing and flashing in my face moments later.  Should have listened to my instincts.

I've been getting up early.  I want to accomplish some things.  I want to work on some personal projects.  First thing in the morning is the right time to do that, but since I have a wife and kids, I needed to bump up my "first thing in the morning" a few hours.

This week I continue the journey, a journey that began last month on a memorable morning.

So there I was, up early.  It was still dark outside and I stepped out into the silence of the stars.  It was so quiet outside that I felt that my breathing was interrupting something.  I felt like I had just walked out on something going on.

Have you ever been in a room that was so quiet that you couldn't handle it?  You needed to clear your throat or swallow or something and when you did the sound hurt your ears?  That's what it felt like that morning, only I was outside.

I was alone in the constant churning of science.  Trees, snow, and air, all turning and growing unseen.  The light had yet to peak out from the East but I could see a glow coming from the City; a city that was asleep.

The day had yet to begin, had yet to be born, and I was off to create something with my brain, hands and heart on my computer.  For a rare moment in my life, I felt like I got the jump on things.

I share an office in the main building at the camp I work at, so I wandered over there for a couple hours to work on personal projects; China stories, video projects, and blogs.  Things like that.

That morning I did some things.  I felt like I had accomplished so much all before breakfast.  My wife and kids were asleep in the next building over.  No interruptions.  The whole world was asleep for all I knew.  I could focus in the isolation.  It was quite a nice time.

I heard recently that the brain works like a muscle.  It's stronger and keener first thing in the morning.  I can testify to this.  I broke through a few "writer's blocks" in that first morning.  I was definitely encouraged that I could make time to make things.  I could find a quiet place to create.

My new schedule has a few extra hours tacked on to the beginning of a few days a week.  Now that I've seen the light, I can't go back.

This is my proclamation that within these early mornings I choose to live!  I take all of my excuses, hold them up against the wall to make them sweat, and then I choke them to death!

It will take time, like chipping away at a rock.  But I am sure that, if I just make time for myself, I can bring things to life.

May you be encouraged to shake off the rust and start living all of those things you've been meaning to breathe in to but just couldn't find the time.

The time is now!

No comments: