Thursday, February 20, 2020

Simple ways to simplify my life

Today I found out that the little stickers on fruit are not compostable.

They are non toxic and do not harm the process, but they remain as foreign plastics that disrupt the beautiful process.  Most large operations have standards that would reject a giant truck of rotting pears because of those little stickers.  It's very sad.

Read more about it here.

This little tidbit comes at a time when I have been trying to seriously rethink the way that I impact my environment.  Not only that, but I will also say that I am searching for ways from trying to limit the ways my environment impacts me.

Here's what I've been able to do thus far:

TV Toss

Our family have flushed $68 a month into Satellite tv for the last several years.  We used that to mostly watch home renovation shows and the Oilers lose.  After the Super Bowl, we said goodbye to that burden.  Will I miss watching sports?  For sure.  However, there were so many little things about it (money, time, lame sports teams, too much tv) that completely outweigh my love for the Oilers.

To be clearer, those little things outweigh my Oiler love by a country mile!  And I've always known it, and only now do I face it and do something about it.  $68 was a waste in so many ways, and now the tough decision has been made and peace can move in.

Bring on a moderate amount of Netflix and DVD viewing!

Clothing Snob

I made a decision a while back to stop purchasing new clothing.  The world is overrun with too much clothing.  There are storehouses being built to hold unused clothing, yet factories continue to pump it all out.  Clothing is being sold and shipped to other countries, only to be tossed or burned.  Again, it's all such a waste.

So what that means is, first of all, I already have a lot of clothes.  I don't need to buy too many items, and since my workplace is casual, I don't have to worry about snazzing myself up too often.

Secondly, when I buy clothes, I go to second hand stores.  They have so much.  It's all better than any eco-friendly made clothing because it's already been made!

Note: I will still buy new shoes because used ones are often too used and really sketchy to put on my feet.

Facebook and Twitter Trash

I'm off of both Facebook and Twitter.  The Irony is that both of those platforms would help me promote this blog.

Twitter was eating me alive.  Too much scrolling.  Too much information about Trump or Fake news or Police brutality.  Too much Oiler negativity.  It was addicting and it drove my anxiety over the edge a few times.  

Now I try to purposely read the news.  Intentionally, for about 10 to 15 minutes every other day, I'll read the headlines.  My go to is cbc.ca.  

I think everyone I know should drop a social platform.  Cut it off at the root and see how you feel for a while after.  If you really need it, just sign up again.  

For me, it's been a big help in helping me control what I am viewing online.  That power is underrated, and very rare these days.

I'm still on Facebook for my work account, and it is a trash show on there, for sure.  Yet, I don't know most of the people on there, so it has less of an impact on my soul.

Other areas that I'd love to put a dent in:


  • Computer Screen impact on my eyes. (I use it a lot for work)
  • Peanut butter (I eat it every morning.  I've got the natural stuff, but I think every morning is too much).
  • Coffee (I drink way too much coffee even though I don't really enjoy it beyond the second or third cup).
Additions

It's easier to take things away when you have something to replace it with.  Here are a few practical ways I have filled some of the empty space.

  • Meditation.  Even emptier space! I used the Centering Prayer App and go for anywhere between 5 to 10 minutes 2 or 3 times a week.  It is really hard, but I love the challenge.
  • Reading.  My goal this year is to read 50 books.  That includes a whole pile of graphic novels.  So far I have read 7 books.  I get all of these books from mainly the Barrhead Public Library or from a thrift store.  Saving money left and right!
  • Drawing.  I started drawing in December.  A little bit every day.  It is super fun.
I plan on adding a lot more once the weather gets nicer.  This spring is when I get to put my garden together.  I am really looking forward to that.

I will run with my dog way more often.  It's one of my favourite things to do when it's not so dark and cold outside.

I also am working hard on connecting with people.  As an extreme introvert, I love being at home.  I could just stay there forever.  Yet, I need to connect with people to show them that they mean a lot to me.  So I am planning lots of ways to be present in social gatherings and not just wish I was out of there.

Life is flying by at the same pace for all of us.  Some of us are a little older than others, and for me, I really feel that this is the time to be thinking about what really matters to me, my people, and my environment.  These rhythms are so important to me and the person I want to be.  

I encourage you to find a pace that works for you.  Find space that fills you up more than it drains you out.  Little by little, the changes will come, the people around you will be blessed, and your life will begin to glow a little brighter.

This drawing is called "Chap"







No comments: