Friday, January 13, 2012

Colour Contacts: the continuing saga

While visiting in Canada for a few weeks, I had kind of completely forgotten about the black contact lens trend here in Xining.  Then, I came back.



The trend has turned into a zombie-like epidemic.  It wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't have to live here and see them every day.  And, to tell you the truth, I have been able to tolerate the black contact lens.  However, as with most diseased fashion trends, there are new strains appearing here and there.  It is getting out of control.  I have yet to see red contacts, but I can imagine that they will eventually make an appearance by the time the weather warms up.

I am against this trend, and I don't want to see it spread to other parts of the world, though I am sure that I am too late.  In any event, I will continue to fight.  This is the hill that I have decided to die on.  Fight with me.

The latest issue for me is summed up in this article:

Here it is

Do not be deceived.  There is more to this trend than 'meets the eye';)  Seriously, this article fails to mention the most dangerous issues.  Forget eye irritation, forget that the junky product is still made in China, forget that you need to squirt a lot of eye drops down your ducts in order to survive the day.  The real dangers, in my opinion, are as follows:

1.  As the article mentions, the 'circle' contact lenses are slightly bigger than normal eyes.  The obvious problem with this, that the article fails to mention and everyone seems to be unaware of, is that having seemingly dilated eyes is NOT something nice to look at.  It could mean that you're high, it could mean that you've been spending too much time in your garage painting fence posts, it could mean that you've hit your head and are suffering from a concussion.  The last thing that most people will think is that you look much more beautiful than you would be without them.

I don't care if you hate the color of your eyes, covering them with fake colour is a bad idea.

2.  The latest 'strain' of this trend is that there are now different colours besides black and brown.  Take a look at this:


Now, I have sympathy for old people.  They have a lot of issues with their health.  One of those issues is something called glaucoma.  Glaucoma occurs when the optic nerve is damaged.  In many cases, the issue results in a milk-like color that covers the eye.

When I see a grandma that has trouble seeing, and I see that she has greyed over eye balls, I feel really bad for her.  When I see young Chinese women wearing glaucoma coloured contact lenses I also feel sorry for them, but for very different reasons.

3.  I think I've said it a lot already, but the 'the eye is the window to the soul'.  One of the first things that attracted me to my beautiful wife was her eyes.  Big, beautiful and blue.  Natural.  Exhibit A:



I understand that I am in a special situation where my wife is very good looking.  I also understand that a lot of Asians seem to be into trying to make themselves look like Caucasians.   In a strange twist to their struggle it is funny that a lot of white girls that I know think that Asian girls are the most beautiful girls in the world.  What does not work is trying to be something you are not.  If my wife got some sort of eye surgery to make them more Asian looking, I would be very upset.

With the contacts and the fake eyelashes and the white powder make-up, and the blond hair dye that turns their black hair orange, the actual person is completely covered and in disguise.  I find myself staring at these girls as I walk down the street.  I wonder if they think that I am impressed with their costumes.  I hope not.

The other thing to consider in all this is the lens less glasses trend.  I am sure that a lot of North Americans have seen this, especially with people stealing the 3D glasses from the movie theatre.  This trend is offensive to me.  I wear glasses and contact lenses because I NEED to wear them.  I am also bald.  To me, this is like someone with hair shaving the top of their head, then slicking a patch of some from the side over the top, walking around with a fake combover and trying to pass it off as a respectable look.

Would it be acceptable for me to roll around in a wheelchair as a fashion statement?  If I got some jewelry for my cell phone and plastered it all over a pair of crutches, would it be acceptable for me to limp around with those hip crutches?  Maybe.

I am in no way against people trying to make themselves look nice.  I just think that, as a society, we need to hold each other accountable to this kind of stuff.  I mean, the whole baggy pants trend seems to slowly be dying out thanks to the fact that most people realized that it was stupid and an improper way to utilize a perfectly good pair of pants.  Maybe these contact lenses will die out too.

The above article basically says that they, no matter what the trend is, follow it.  Instead, I would say something like "use your own judgement and find the trends that you think will help you look your naturally best."

Hey, I'm 30.  I'm not out there 'clubbing', or whatever it's called these days.  I'm not out on the prowl for someone to date.  Maybe younger guys are into this kind of trend.  If that's true, then that is weird.

No comments: