Sunday, October 5, 2008

Oath

Our writing group is now 3. We should really come up with a witty name for it. Regardless, this month's theme is simply "Oath". Here's what I came up with:



-Oath to an old woman-


The night is cold.
My heart is warm.
Your dreams are dark
with your brittle hands pressed together into a broken prayer.
I wait for you
and promise truth,
to not dismiss,
I promise you this.

You are lonesome in the day.
The busy streets turn a cold shoulder
as you keep yourself busy with useless chores.
Not to notice.
Not to know you.
To forget, not forgive,
I am not these, lost in the bliss,
I promise you this.

As you walk on,
the sun shines its abandoned rays.
The birds croak out dirty noise.
The flowing river, your tears in solitude.
Yet you are still here,
carrying your purse and your grief.
Love stolen by a thief, replaced with a kiss,
I promise you this.

In your last days
your legs give way to a sturdy bed.
You’ve broken the bank.
Your kids don’t call.
Your love is in the ground
and you’ve said your distant plea.
Seems your leaving is nothing to miss.
Not so my friend,
I promise you this.

No comments: